Monday, January 16, 2017

Stuck in Ewe

Somehow, as usual, I got the pictures out of order.  The first shot is actually the last, that of a relatively pain-free old ewe blissfully munching on some hay.
 
My old girl, Twyla, who is going on 11 years old, was basically a two legged ewe.  Both rear legs were so painful she could barely walk anymore, especially now with it being icy and cold.  What probably started as foot problems morphed into hip and stifle problems.  So, I called up Aurora and set up a time to come and needle Twyla.
 
Two weeks ago, we did the first session.  Aurora started with acupressure and massage, finding the problem areas and releasing the tight, painful muscles and ligaments first.  Then, in went the needles.  Twyla was a bit off-put by the needles, but when she started to figure out that things didn't hurt as bad, she actually relaxed to the point that she flopped down, eyes half closed, and started chewing cud, instead of grinding teeth in pain.  It was even more amazing when, that night, instead of limping painfully in the barn for her special feed, she barely looked up when I called her from the door of the barn, and resumed grazing at the head of her flock, leading them along the pasture.  For the first time in months.
 
Saturday, Aurora added a little electricity to the needles to help speed things along.  Twyla did well, up to a point, and then she was done.  Not too bad, we made it halfway thru a 30 minute session before she had enough. 
 
The last picture, of her eating, looks mundane, unless you had seen her just about an hour before, right rear leg held up, teeth grinding.  In that picture, she is standing almost squarely on all four legs, happily eating.
 
I know that a lot of people who might be reading this are thinking 'Geez, what a waste of money on an old ewe'.  Any animal suffering, no matter the age or status, is not something I tolerate.  And Twyla has reliably given me twins every years, even her first time; this year, she gave me TWO sets of twins.  And, her daughter Ginger gave me the first set of triplets born on the ranch this year.  Twyla's easy to get along with, keeps her girls and wethers in line, doesn't ask for much and gives a lot in return. 
 
 So, it's such a joy to see her recovering so nicely. Aurora left me with needles to try and stick in her myself.  We will see how brave I am, and whether or not I can do it.  She coached me carefully, I took pictures, and hopefully, I won't need to do it.
 
But if I do need to do so, I'm ready to meet the challenge!
 

 Aurora with a very relaxed Twyla, on the juice



 Varying the output of the power source causes muscles to contract and relax



2 comments:

  1. "Ewe" are so compassionate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey 'ewe'!! Long time no hear from! Howzit up in the Great White North? I think we may have been colder than you guys this year.

    I know that Twy's probably not got much longer as a producing ewe, so I'll probably retire her to a pasture with the old Navajo-Churro Pogo this year. She's just been such a good ewe, no reason not to reward her by sparing her the auction.

    Drop a line sometime!

    ReplyDelete