Thursday, July 14, 2016

Another One Bites the Dust

A few weeks ago, I had just gone to bed and turned out the light, when a huge 'WHUMP' shook the bed.  Usually, this is caused by Hoke flopping down alongside the bed and hitting the nightstand, so I looked over the edge of the bed, and there was Sybil.  However, she doesn't usually make a big 'WHUMP' when she lays down next to the bed, and she was more in the middle of the floor and not up against the bed or nightstand, but I figured it must have been her anyway, and didn't give it another thought.
 
The next morning, while making my morning elixir, I looked out the kitchen window and went 'Huh, what's that on the ground by the round pen?'.  I grabbed my coffee and went out to see.
 
The last of the ancient 'Gravenstein' apple trees isn't very much longer for this world.  It's totally loaded with apples, so we will let the remaining two limbs live out the fall, and take it down this winter, before the winter storms do it for us.  We are usually much neater in doing so.
 
 It might not look like it, but that's a HUGE limb down

 Not much left of the old soldier
 Completely heart rotted, that's daylight on the other end
Roar was broken hearted about all the apples going to waste.  But the calves took care of them for him

No comments:

Post a Comment