Sunday, January 17, 2016

Finally, Pogo Pops

The nail-biting wait was over.  Pogo, the ancient Navajo-Churro ewe, finally popped early this afternoon.  No more dozing in the dilapidated old chair most of the night, freezing and listening to the rain pound down while begging the ol' gal to just get it over with.  I was sure I would have to help out, but bless her heart, she did it all on her own.  Bonnie and I came in just after her second little boy hit the ground.  Number one son was already nursing vigourously, and number two wasn't far behind (yes Bonnie, by the time I went back out, he had).
 
I now know that I can create blue merle sheep.  If not for the legs and face, you'd swear that was a blue merle Aussie pup there.  That's what the mix of Pogo and Georges the St. Thomas ram did.
 
Number two son (sorry, but I just haven't come up with names quite yet; it's a 'D' year, so there are lots of choices but thus far, none seem to fit) looks like he walked thru a dark and milk chocolate fondue.  At least when he gets muddy, you won't know it.
 
Mom had so much milk in that udder that it was dripping out.  That ended after the boys nursed for awhile and took the pressure off.  But Pogo is fabulous mom, and now has shown me yet another thing - that weird momma chuckle that I so did NOT expect to come from her!  All the other ewes have the momma chuckle, and they are all about what I'd expect from them.  But Pogo's is different and I cannot even begin to describe it.
 
I'm just glad she's done, wish she'd had a daughter but that's okay.  The mom and boys are strong and healthy and I cannot wait to watch them little guys grow!
 
Now, Twyla's daughter Ginger and Charlotte (Cassie's twin) are left.  Char worries me just a touch as she's a first timer, but she barely looks pregnant, so I think there is some time.  Ginger always does fine.
 
4 ewes.  6 healthy lambs.  So far, so good....
 
 Number two staggers to his feet moments after birth

 A reverse panda, blue merle ram lamb!
 OMG that face!!  He is either looking dignified or snooty.  Given Pogo is his momma, I'm going with dignified






 Twins don't come much better matched than that right there






No comments:

Post a Comment