Thursday, June 25, 2015

Roar Goes Under the Knife at OSU

Several months ago, Roar started showing a bit of favouring of his right rear foot.  I kept an eye on things, and when I saw something that didn't look right, I sent some pix to Jorge at OSU.  He said it was basically the bovine version of a corn between his claws (toes), and we would see how it progressed.  Progress it did, to the point where he was really starting to not want to put much of his 2000 pounds on it.  It was decided that surgery was in order, just as soon as breeding season was finished.
A few weeks ago, we made the first attempt at surgical removal.  The one and only thing that could cause the operation to be aborted was if his massive bulk wouldn't fit in the massive hydraulic squeeze chute at OSU.  And, it didn't.  Jorge tried a few work arounds, but in the end, for the safety of all of the surgical team and Roar, the operation was temporarily put on hold, and back home he came.
Wednesday, we took him back up for his surgery on Thursday morning.  This time, Jorge enlisted the OSU veterinary anesthesia team to put him completely under and monitor him during the procedure.  It was a massive team effort, with students fighting for the chance to be on the surgical team.  It was a perfect blend of teamwork and professionalism that pulled off a very difficult surgery on a massive bovine.  Jorge got as much of the growth out as he could, and in a show of how complex this whole thing was, utilized a drill, wire cutters, screws, screwdrivers and stout wire to protect the surgical site by wiring his claws together in an effort that would have been applauded on 'This Old House'.  The entire procedure was videotaped and I took as many pix as I could without being a pest or in the way, which wasn't many.  One of the techs kindly snapped a shot that I couldn't get for me.
I went to work while he was waking up, took care of a few things then headed back over.  By then, he was up on his feet and looking quite hung over, like he'd been to the mother of all frat parties the past few days and awoke on a different coast.  An hour later, we led him to his stall for the next week, in air conditioned comfort, with young lady vet students all fighting for the chance to be his nurse, even for an hour or two.
One great thing is that the old man got to show a lot of aspiring vet students how easy and docile some breeds of cattle can be.  They all gushed about how wonderful he was, easy going and not nasty at all, even when the vet laid his neck open with a scalpel to put the catheter in.  The word 'cute' kept making the rounds, as well as 'sweet', 'adorable', 'HUGE' and did I mention 'cute'?
We look forward to bring 'Big Daddy' as Kirsten called him, home to his girls again.  Altho, shameless hussies, not a one of them has noticed he's gone
 That's a mound o' meat there.  Jorge in the brown overall, Dr. Steele in the beige
 Sleeping giant
 I believe that may be part of the mass in the hands of the tech with the flashlight, but hard to tell
 He will be so mad I put this picture up
Up and sort of at 'em

No comments:

Post a Comment