Thursday, June 25, 2015

Beet It

This is the first year I've grown beets.  I chose the Italian heirloom 'Chiogga' because it's just too cool not to. 
 
I love pickled beets.  I would eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.  Sometimes, I do.  So this was my first time pickling my own beets.  Armed with the OSU Master Food Preservation recipe, I tried my first batch.
 

 Border Collie inspected and approved
 Trimmed and ready to boil
 30 minutes of boiling yielded faded roots.  But they tasted good
 First test jar
 Second batch, freshly picked and washed
 17 minutes of boiling yielded perfect colour and still tasty
Second two jars.  Much better looking than first attempt

4 comments:

  1. LOVE pickled beets, although I've never made my own. I'd probably try lacto-fermentation like I use for my dill pickles when I grow beets again. I grew Chiogga, too, and they were GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, do you have pickle crocks for fermenting or do you need a closed system? I'm kinda scared to try it myself, but everyone raves about it. I could do sauerkraut. I love sauerkraut. Fermented sauerkraut and beets. Ooooooo......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sauerkraut I used food-grade five-gallon buckets; the dill pickles are fermented in the jar (recipe from a friend).

      Delete
  3. In the jar, and they don't blow up? Cool!!

    I'll swap you a pot of violas for the recipe !

    ReplyDelete