A while back, I found an ad on craigslist for a pair of antique cast iron bench ends with all the fixin's excepting the wood. A nice, leisurely drive down to Pleasant Hill and as it turned out, there were 2 pair of ends. The owner made us an offer we couldn't refuse to take both, and back home we went with them. I finally got a chance to get down to Redwood Northwest and get the slats, and last weekend, Dale started to rough the first one out.
There are no intentions to sandblast and repaint, just a gentle soap and water wash to preserve the patina and knock back the spider eggs. After Dale gets it all assembled, it'll come back apart to stain the slats to match the arbour in front of the greenhouse, which is where they are going