Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Great Pumpkin Massacre of 2014

I know I said I'd wait until after Thanksgiving to slaughter the pumpkins and make roasted pumpkin seeds.  But, the temptation was just too great.  The very thought of freshly ground Himalayan pink salt, olive oil and homegrown 'Kakai' hull-less pumpkin seeds all roasting in the oven had me drooling all over the place.  Thus, the first 6 pumpkins gave up their seeds, and for the first time ever, I got to taste hull-less roasted pumpkin seeds, and they aren't very good.  They are OUTSTANDING!!
 
I took the first bag to work and barely got it out of there with a few handfuls left.  Today, the dogs and I slaughtered the rest of the first group and we now have our own personal bowl of them sitting where a passing hand can grab some.  And they do.
 
The empty husks went to the cows, goat, sheep and horse and believe me when I tell you what a frenzy the cows went into over them.  Nellie was ramming them with her head and pushing them with her nose before grabbing them and devouring every last morsel.  Even the hens got into an errant lid that ended up within their reach, at least until Ruffie found it and claimed it for her own.  Even her little son Boomer found pumpkin husks to his liking, at least as long as he could keep one in his mouth before some big damn momma cow took it away from him.  Not a lot of motherly love goes on when there's food involved, not among them girls.
 
 The first one, the one that grew thru the fence.  Ended up with about 1/2 of a gallon Ziplock bag of seeds - before I took it to work.  Came home with the bottom of the bag barely covered
 Slaughterhouse 3.  Hoke didn't care for either the raw seeds or the pulp, but the girls sure did

2 comments:

  1. I've never HEARD of hull-less pumpkin seeds; how great is that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, is what it is. Turns out there are a few varieties besides Kakai out there.

    Needless to say, I'll be planting this one again!

    ReplyDelete