I know I mentioned that this time of year is the 'RE' season up here in the Pacific Northwest. And now that the deck has been redone, it was time to move on to other projects, some big, some not so big. Dale and I weren't all that happy with our first pass a few years back on the water rock by the deck, so we redid it. I know there are some shots of the original installation somewhere, just too lazy to go find them. But, most people who look at the blog have been here and know what it used to look like. I've wanted to do a sort of stacked ledge rock wall behind it for quite some time, literally from the moment we did the first pass, so we went with that theme. If you can imagine, the black rock was the original size of the surround for the water rock, with the ledge stone just kinda sorta stacked two high around it. It's pretty cool now.
And then there was the rainchain. Love 'em, really do but never really had a good drainage system for the one by the master bedroom. It was a bucket of dirt, actually, that used to have a polemonium in it (Jacob's Ladder, a type of plant). The plant died long ago, and the bucket of dirt remained. Not real classy, and because there was a hump in the dirt in front of it, the water just drained right back up against the house foundation. Thus, the new drain. Dale dug out a bit of the hump, we laid geotex cloth over the entire area, added round river pebbles and then the small, two tier waterfall with a beautiful, large pottery pot filled with Indonesian green river stones. Now, it really just needs some rain. Hope we get some, and soon
And last, the really BIG project is getting underway. These are our feederbunks during the dry season. During the rainy season, imagine this a muddy swamp with cows coming and going to eat twice a day under the shelter of the bunk roof. We had done a lot of make it better, but it still wasn't quite good enough. So, enough was enough. Friday we will bring in the big daddy of trenchers, the ride on Ditch Witch, trench both inside and outside the roofed area, and lay the drain tile out to the pasture. THAT should do it. A ton of work, but anything to try and keep the cows from sinking to their knees in mud every winter is worth the effort