Monday, May 30, 2011

Flying the Flag

Today, as we all know, is Memorial Day. A day to take a moment between driving and barbequing and quaffing to remember why we are able to do all of those things, and say a grateful 'Thank You' to the women and men who have fought and died to give us the ability to do just what we're doing today.

Having grown up Navy, been in the Navy, married Navy and been a contractor for the Navy, I know some veterans. Lots of them. My dad and his family were all about serving - Army and Navy, all the boys served. My Uncle Jimmy died at Inchon (Korea). I never knew him. He was dad's older brother. My dad passed away 10 years ago this year, and his other older brother, Uncle George, several years before him. Dad retired from the Navy after serving 20 years aboard aircraft carriers as an aviation metalsmith. He caught the tail end of Korea and all of Vietnam. My Uncle Mike is still with us, and I do remember him in his Navy whites coming to visit us often at Lemoore Naval Air Station (California). Both of my little brothers served as well, Jim in the Army and Stan in the Navy. Dale and I met when we were both serving at Submarine Base Point Loma (San Diego), training sailors to drive subs and shoot targets. Dale was a weapons officer on a fleet ballistic missile submarine during the Cold War and beyond. Dale's older brother Dean was a Seabee who served multiple tours in Vietnam. And we have many, many friends who served as well. I don't know about them, but it was a no brainer for me.

So, put down your brew, find a flag (shouldn't be hard to do today) and whether or not you agree with the military and why it exists, say a quick prayer of thanks to those who made this moment possible for you and your family, okay? Trust me when I say, we who served do appreciate it.






The beginnings of the new flagpole. Dale was determined to get it in the ground before Memorial Day, and luckily, we had enough dry days that the hole didn't fill with water when he dug it
Base completed, with 3 60# bags of concrete to anchor it in our sometimes rather brisk winds


Flagpole installed. Made in the USA, from tip to base, flag included



1 comment: